Start a Blog and make Money Blogging
Blogging means different things to different people! To me, it’s a way of expressing my self, sharing my experiences with the world, promoting my businesses and making money in the process. My journey as a blogger began a year ago. I actually knew little or nothing on how to Start a Blog, but I can assure you that it’s been a very interesting and educative trip so far. I hired the services of a professional website designer to set up my first blog:Meet Cameroonians: blogging, forums, socialization, promotion of music, news
I used the newly built website as a drawing board to learn everything I came to know about setting up blog and starting a blogging career which i am about to share with you.
Once I was convinced I am ready, I was set to start a new blog which happens to be my second website out of the 5 websites I currently run:Fashion, Beauties and Entertainment
To cut the long story short, before you decide to start a blog or a blogging career, you must consider thoroughly the following guides:
Making a decision about the niche is very important most especially to bloggers who intend to make money blogging. Picking a niche entails choosing a suitable market topic or topics you will be comfortable and passionate writing about. You can certainly make money from any niche you decide to choose, but you need to know that some niches like the ” HOW TO MAKE MONEY BLOGGING” can easily get you tons of traffic and conversion if done the right way unlike “FASHION and BEAUTY) niche which depends more on connection with celebrities, attendance of fashion events and shows and meeting people to share your dreams with.
When you ask yourself why you are starting a blog you will probably end up with two reasons:
- You want to help people do something.
- You want to join the money making bloggers club.
The above questions should always serve as your guide when you are choosing a niche, then blend them with passion and then you are quite good to move on to the next step.
There are many good blogging platforms out there good enough to start your niche blog on, but you want to make sure you go for the best. I have been using “WordPress” all along and I’ve never for once considered switching to a different platform and that’s because WordPress is simply the best. There are other platforms like bloggers and tumblr, but these are no match comparatively to WordPress.
WordPress serves its clients with more customization options and useful plugins than tumblr and bloggers put together. There’s a WordPress plugin(Sumome) which could be used to publish WordPress articles on tumblr in case where you want to use Tumblr to generate back-links to your WordPress blog. Read more about Sumome and other recommended plugins
There are two types of WordPress platforms: a self hosted WordPress platform and a free WordPress platform.
Depending on your aims and intentions of starting a blogging career, you can choose either the self hosted WordPress platform, or the free platform. With the free platform, you have certain limitation even though you can get a customize domain name, you still won’t be able to get useful plugins among other limitations.
- Hosted WordPress blogs are often referred to as “WordPress.com blogs.”
- Self-hosted WordPress blogs are often referred to as “WordPress.org blogs.” (recommended)
If you are getting into blogging for business, then a self hosted WordPress platform is exactly what you need. Once you are certain on the platform you need to run your blog on, then you are ready for the next step.
This is another big decision! You have to consider the following points before choosing a web hosting company:
- Server speed
- customer service Support
I have been using Thcservers on all my websites, and I really must admit that they are one of the best if not the best hosting company out there. Their customer services are outstanding! They have helped me gained lots of technical knowledge, step by step and are available 24/7 for support and assistance. the speed of their servers are also outstanding and they are far more cheaper comparatively to most hosting companies.
I recommend you visit thc servers to secure a hosting plan and a domain name. Their hosting plan also come with Softaculous which provides and makes it it very easy for you to install and run a self hosted WordPress platform without breaking a sweat.
Softaculous is the leading Auto Installer having more than 426 great scripts, 1115 PHP Classes and they are still adding more. Softaculous is widely used in the Web Hosting industry and it has helped millions of users install applications by the click of a button. Softaculous Auto Installer easily integrates into leading Control Panels like cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, H-Sphere.
Typical Thc Server prices look as below:
choose your hosting plan and then move over to getting your customize domain name. I assume we all know what a domain name is!
You can get a domain from Thc Servers for as cheap as $12.79/year.
After you purchase your web hosting and domain name, now it’s time to move to the next step!
Use Your domain name to Login to your Cpanel as shown in the screenshot below
Once you get into your Cpanel, scroll downward till you find Softaculous apps Installer and once found, click on WordPress.
On the next page, click on Install and you will be taken to another page where you will have to do some basic and easy configurations. Thc servers provide free SSL, so you will have to choose the HTTPS protocol, your domain will appear automatically. Choose the directory you will like for your WordPress installation. I always remove the default WP from the directory and I will advice you do the same.
Once you are done with the above steps, scroll downward to enter you WordPress user info:
- Enter your site name which eventually will be used as your page meta title, Keep short under 60 characters for better search engine optimization. The name is this site is, “MCMG blogging tools”, short and straight to the point.
- Enter your site description, use the most explicit words to explain what your site is all about and don’t make it more than 160 characters reasons being that search engines only select only the first 160 characters and leave out the extra words. So keeping your site description not more than 160 words is also a good SEO practice.
- Enter Your admin username: By default, the username of every newly installed WordPress is “Admin”. You sure want to change that to your username of preference, mine is “Ceodavis”.
- Choose a password, make it long and include special characters for security reasons. Don’t forget to save your password somewhere secured just in case you get to forget it.
- Enter an e-mail address you want all your site information to be sent to.
- Select your language
- skip the advance Options.
- skip theme selection
- Finally, click on install
Now you are good to login to your WordPress admin Panel. Click on the link provided, the link will be like: https://yourdomainname.com/wp-admin/
Now you are good to start designing your blog.
As a proud owner of a new self hosted WordPress website, you sure want to give your website a breath of life! There are many things can do at this point
- Choosing a theme by taking your mouse pointer to appearance and clicking on themes. There are many free WordPress powered themes, you can do a thorough research on the best WordPress themes. Once you are convinced on a particular theme, you can choose to install the free version of it or go for the premium version depending on your budget. Free themes has some limitations, but you can always upgrade to the premium version in time you deem necessary.
- Get on with the customization of your theme: logo, colors, headers, social icons, menus widgets etc.
- Move on to settings: General setting, Reading, writing, media and permanent links
- click on Plugins: delete unwanted plugins except for the Akismet plugin which is very important for the security of your site.
- Click on Posts and pages to delete default WordPress posts and pages
Now you are good to get started with your basic blogging experience, creating your desired pages, categories and writing your first blog posts.
Remember that as a self hosted WordPress user, you can add more (necessary) plugins which will help and serve many purposes.
I shall be writing about plugins and detailed WordPress settings in my subsequent articles, for now you are good to start your own blogging journey.
If you find this post useful, kindly hit the share buttons.
Thanks for reading.